A small double mattress measures approximately 4 feet by 6 feet 3 inches (120 cm by 190 cm). They are great for people who sleep alone and want more room than a single bed, but not as much as a full double bed. People sometimes refer to it as a queen size or ¾ size mattress. It's a smart pick for people with smaller rooms or those who want to create more space in their bedroom.
At Land of Beds, we have small double mattresses to suit all budgets and sleep requirements. Our bed experts are available to provide you with free, independent advice to ensure your investment suits your needs perfectly.
Types of small double mattresses available at Land of Beds:
- Natural - provides a cosy, hypoallergenic sleeping surface and helps regulate your body temperature while you sleep.
- Latex - offers a bouncy sleeping surface and is great for relieving pressure during sleep. It's especially good for people with breathing issues and allergies.
- Foam - Designed to conform to your body type, foam can offer exceptional comfort. It is a great filling choice for restless sleepers.
- Memory foam - eases pressure and keeps your spine in shape by adapting to your body, ensuring even weight distribution during sleep. It's a great option for those who share a bed because it absorbs motion.
- Gel - A great option for people with aches and pains because it offers high support and comfort. Gel mattresses are also great for regulating your temperature.
See our mattress filling guide for further information.
We also have different spring options available:
- Pocket Spring mattresses - Each spring is in its own fabric pocket, so they move independently when pressure is applied.
- Traditional Spring - often called open coil/Bonnell spring this system features interconnected springs, which work together when reacting to pressure, this type of mattress supplies excellent value for money.
Choosing your perfect small double mattress
Selecting the ideal small double mattress primarily hinges on your preferred sleeping posture. If you're a side sleeper, you might lean towards a soft or medium comfort-grade mattress. A medium-grade option suits those who frequently shift positions during the night. Both of these choices offer ample cushioning, allowing your body to find the right balance and prevent pressure point discomfort. For individuals who prefer sleeping on their front or back, a firm or very firm mattress is the way to go. These options offer additional lumbar support, easing pressure on your spine and joints, and ensuring you wake up revitalized. For more guidance, read our guide: The best mattress for each sleeping position.
We advise considering the following when looking for a small double mattress:
- Size and Space: Make sure it fits your bed and room. Measure to be sure. Small doubles are smaller than a double making them a popular choice for small spaces and guest rooms.
- Comfort: Decide if you like a firm, medium, or soft mattress. Think about any special needs you have, like back support. Consider your sleeping position.
- Material: Mattresses come in different materials. Choose from memory foam mattresses, pocket sprung mattresses, latex, or a mix. Pick one that's comfy and supports you.
- Money: Set a budget. A good mattress can improve your sleep and health, so spending a bit more is usually worth it. We have products to suit all price points and a range of payment options available including buy now, pay later and zero deposit, interest free finance.
- Brand and Reviews: Look at known brands and read what others say about the mattress you're thinking of buying. At Land of Beds, we partner with top brands: Emma, Nectar, Silentnight, Hypnos, Sealy, Sleepeezee, and more.
- Warranty and Returns: Check the warranty and return policy in case the mattress doesn't work out. All products at Land of Beds clearly display warranty information.
- Sleeping Position: Think about how you sleep – on your back, side, or stomach – and choose a mattress that suits you.
- Allergies and Health: If you have allergies or health issues, look for hypoallergenic or organic mattresses.
- Experience It Yourself: Choose a mattress with a sleep trial period. This allows you to try it in the comfort of your own home.
- Personal Preferences: Consider your personal preferences, including aesthetics and desired features like cooling or adjustable firmness.
For more information, see our help and advice section. We have lots of useful tips and guides including a mattress buying guide. Our bed experts are also at the end of a phone on: 01928 242829 or via email and live chat. Or pop into one our stores where a warm welcome awaits.